Re: UTF-8 encoding problem w/ libpq

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, "ktm(at)rice(dot)edu" <ktm(at)rice(dot)edu>, Martin Schäfer <Martin(dot)Schaefer(at)cadcorp(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UTF-8 encoding problem w/ libpq
Date: 2013-06-08 14:42:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 06/03/2013 02:41 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 06/03/2013 02:28 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> . I wonder though if we couldn't just fix this code to not do
>> anything to high-bit-set bytes in multibyte encodings.
>

> That's exactly what I suggested back in November.

This thread seems to have gone cold, so I have applied the fix I
originally suggested along these lines to all live branches.

At least that means we won't produce junk, but we still need to work out
how to downcase multi-byte characters.

If anyone thinks there are other places in the code that need similar
treatment, they are welcome to find them. I have not yet found one.

cheers

andrew