Re: Success stories of PostgreSQL implementations in different companies

From: Karl Denninger <karl(at)denninger(dot)net>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bèrto ëd Sèra <berto(dot)d(dot)sera(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Success stories of PostgreSQL implementations in different companies
Date: 2013-05-24 15:55:44
Lists: pgsql-general

On 5/24/2013 10:49 AM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Bèrto ëd Sèra <berto(dot)d(dot)sera(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>> The Greater London Authority is also ditching Oracle in favour of PG. I
>>> consulted them while they kick started their transition and the first new
>>> PG/PostGIS only project is already delivered. The number of companies
>>> ditching Oracle is probably much larger than it seems, giving the dynamics
>>> in salaries. The average PG based salary goes up steady, while working with
>>> Oracle is going down pretty quick.
>>>
>>> At least, so it would look from the UK. An Oracle DBA in average is
>>> currently offered some 15% less than a PG dba.
>> Where I currently work we've been looking for a qualified production
>> postgres DBA. They (we?) are hard to come by.
> This. The major barrier to postgres adoption is accessibility of
> talent. OTOH, postgres tends to attract the best and smartest
> developers and so the price premium is justified. This is not just
> bias speaking...I work on the hiring side and it's a frank analysis of
> the current state of affairs. Postgres is white hot.
>
> The database is competitive technically (better in some ways worse in
> others) vs the best of the commercial offerings but is evolving much
> more quickly.
>
> merlin

They/we are not THAT hard to come by.

It's the common lament that customers have in a nice whorehouse. The
price is too high.....

(You can easily pay me to quit doing what I'm doing now and do something
else; the problem only rests in one place when it comes to enticing me
to do so -- money. :-))

--
Karl Denninger
karl(at)denninger(dot)net