Re: Hibernate + PostgreSQL (?) error

From: Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: David Alvarez <dalsquared(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hibernate + PostgreSQL (?) error
Date: 2013-05-07 19:38:38
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 08/05/13 02:34, David Alvarez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently attempting to work my way through the set of tutorials,
> posted by Koushik, on the subject of using Hibernate with PostgreSQL,
> and while I am not sure it is Postgres's fault (and therefore whether
> I am asking the right people), it certainly looks like it is. So, to
> describe the problem:
> I am using Eclipse Indigo to implement my Java 7 code (JDK v 1.7),
> which calls the hibernate (v 4.1.12, the latest) framework, which in
> turn (although currently it is only hopefully in the future) calls
> PostgreSQL (v 9.2), which will call the data and allow me to proceed
> with the tutorial. However, when I try to run it Eclipse is reporting
> the current error (after apparently loading the hibernate framework
> correctly)
>
> "ERROR: HHH000231: Schema export unsuccessful
> org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: FATAL: database
> "localhost:5432/hibernatedb" does not exist"
>
> Now, 'Schema export' sounds like a Hibernate thing (so please forgive
> me if I am posting this in the wrong place, although it is the
> 'novice' area, right?), and so does
> 'org.postgresql.util.PSQLException' (which looks like a Java library,
> to me), and I do know that the port #5432 is configured and running on
> my local machine, that db 'hibernatedb' does indeed exist, since I
> created and connected to it right before I tried to get this to run,
> and that I do have (or at least as far as I can tell) the correct
> driver installed in the right place in Eclipse
> (postgresql-9.2-1002.jdc4.jar as a 'referenced library')., so I am at
> a loss. What did I do? And most importantly, how do I fix it? Do I
> need to copy/post any of the associated config.xml files, or any
> screen shots of Eclipse? Where do I do this? (I 'm afraid that I am
> completely new to PSQL and Hibernate, and to this site). Any
> assistance you could give would be greatly appreciated. And thanks in
> advance.
>
> Dave A.
Hmm...

Congratulations on your persistence! Having fought successfully for
several hours last night to successfully get a very simple tutorial
example working on an unrelated piece of software, I have some idea of
the frustrations involved!

Well you appear to have checked the obvious that I had thought might be
the problem!

I might well be using Hibernate soon with Postgres, so I'll be following
the resolution of you problem, and I also use Eclipse

Cheers,
Gavin