Re: *Proper* solution for 1..* relationship?

From: Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Wolfgang Keller <feliphil(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql novice forum <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: *Proper* solution for 1..* relationship?
Date: 2013-05-01 20:16:15
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 02/05/13 03:37, Josh Kupershmidt wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 7:56 AM, Wolfgang Keller <feliphil(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
>>> The most straightforward way I know to enforce this is to check
>>> that at least one child exists in a DEFERRED trigger on the the
>>> parent. You still need to worry about concurrency issues.
>> Imho it's absurd that I have to do this ("worry about concurrency
>> issues") myself, how long - more than fourty years after the invention
>> of relational databases?
> You're not the first one to wish for something like this, and the SQL
> standard actually has the CREATE ASSERTION syntax which I believe
> would be able cover your use-case. Unfortunately, almost no databases
> support this feature :-(
>
> Josh

Maybe we (see note 1) should implement this feature, presumably with a
Government health warning on the likely performance impact? It might
serve as a 'checklist' feature for marketing.

Notes:
1) "Who me paleface (see note 2)" said Tonto after the Lone Ranger had
said "we are in danger!" when faced with a lot of warlike indians.

2) The Lone Ranger character was actually based on a very successful
black lawman!!!

Cheers,
Gavin