Re: Calling plSQL functions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lonnie Cumberland <lonnie_cumberland(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Calling plSQL functions
Date: 2001-04-13 18:35:49
Lists: pgsql-sql

Lonnie Cumberland <lonnie_cumberland(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> I have then created a PL/pgSQL function called "register_user()" in a file
> called register.sql

> create function register_user(text,text,text,text,text,text,text,text,text)
> [snip]
> begin

> -- Look to see if the login is already taken
> select * from user_info where login = client_login;

> ERROR: unexpected SELECT query in exec_stmt_execsql()

The error message isn't very helpful, but the issue here is that you're
doing a completely useless SELECT --- or at least plpgsql thinks it's
useless, because you're discarding the result. (I think that plpgsql is
being overly anal-retentive about it, since such a query might indeed be
useful if you then examine FOUND or ROW_COUNT, but that's the issue at
the moment.) Try making it a SELECT INTO instead.