Re: pg_dump vs schemas

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)stringsutils(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump vs schemas
Date: 2007-07-14 02:16:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Francisco Reyes <lists(at)stringsutils(dot)com> writes:
> I however noticed that pg_dump also does this:
> ALTER TABLE public.mytable OWNER TO pgsql;

> Shouldn't the "public." be left out?

Probably in an ideal world, but that code is far from ideal --- it's
dealing with a bunch of considerations including compatibility with dump
files from old pg_dump versions with assorted bugs. I'm hesitant to
remove the schema spec for fear we'd end up with underspecified output
in some corner case or other.