Re: doc hdparm also support SATA

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Jov <amutu(at)amutu(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: doc hdparm also support SATA
Date: 2013-04-07 11:54:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 04/07/2013 02:29 PM, Jov wrote:
> from the pg doc:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/wal-reliability.html :On Linux,
> IDE drives can be queried using hdparm -I; write caching is enabled if
> there is a * next to Write cache. hdparm -W 0 can be used to turn off
> write caching. SCSI drives can be queried using sdparm
> <http://sg.danny.cz/sg/sdparm.html>. Use sdparm --get=WCE to check
> whether the write cache is enabled and sdparm --clear=WCE to disable it.
The previous paragraph does say "Consumer-grade IDE and SATA drives are
particularly likely
to have write-back caches that will not survive a power failure."

I guess it's reasonable to replace "IDE" with "ATA/SATA" though it's
pretty minor. It'd be nice to confirm that the method for disabling the
write cache on fbsd is still correct and applies to SATA drives.