feature request - automatic SSH tunnels

From: Darren Duncan <darren(at)darrenduncan(dot)net>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: feature request - automatic SSH tunnels
Date: 2013-04-05 18:30:58
Lists: pgadmin-support

I have a feature request for pgAdmin that would help me and other users a lot,
and I don't see it on your roadmap or TODO.

This is to add to Server Registration extra fields for configuring an SSH tunnel
so that users can use pgAdmin over an SSH tunnel without having to separately
setup the tunnel outside pgAdmin.

For example, currently users have to do something like this on the command-line
when they want to use pgAdmin over a tunnel:

ssh -L 5423:localhost:5432 postgres(at)mydomain(dot)com

But ideally pgAdmin would set that up the tunnel automatically when you do a
Connect.

Even MySQL Workbench has supported this for a few years at least.

How difficult would it be to add this feature, and is there any reason not to?

Would it help if I monetarily sponsored an automatic SSH tunnel feature?

I'm hoping this could make it into 1.18.0 at the latest, if not 1.16.x.

Thank you in advance.

-- Darren Duncan