Re: 8.2/8.3 incompatibility

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Gregory Williamson" <Gregory(dot)Williamson(at)digitalglobe(dot)com>
Cc: "Harald Fuchs" <hari(dot)fuchs(at)googlemail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.2/8.3 incompatibility
Date: 2008-02-07 16:34:52
Lists: pgsql-general

"Gregory Williamson" <Gregory(dot)Williamson(at)digitalglobe(dot)com> writes:
> Harald,
>> (Note the different column types.)

> Precisely -- there are a number of casts that have been removed from
> this release.

This isn't a casting problem, I don't think. 8.3 is definitely stricter
about implicit casts with FKs, eg try adding this to the test case:

regression=# create table t3 (f1 int references t1);
ERROR: foreign key constraint "t3_f1_fkey" cannot be implemented
DETAIL: Key columns "f1" and "id" are of incompatible types: integer and character.

But it's allowing the constraint and then failing at runtime, which
seems like an outright bug, since the values *should* compare equal
AFAICS. I wonder if this is related to bug #3938.