Re: Character Encoding Question

From: Joe Abbate <jma(at)freedomcircle(dot)com>
To: psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Character Encoding Question
Date: 2013-03-29 01:21:18
Lists: psycopg

On 28/03/13 16:59, Don Parris wrote:
> If I created the database using the UTF-8 encoding, then why would some
> data be encoded differently than the rest? And how can I control how
> the data gets inserted? See my previous post, where I mentioned loading
> a good chunk of the data via the \copy command in psql, and then later
> added more via PGAdmin. Many records seem to work just fine, but quite
> a few others don't - and I was just naively entering or loading data
> without knowing any encoding was being changed.

If the database is created with UTF-8 encoding, all character data will
be encoded as UTF-8. The problem was that your client was using
SQL_ASCII encoding so any UTF-8, non-ASCII data (i.e., characters above
decimal 127) received from PG couldn't be decoded. IIRC the client
encoding is set according to the template0 encoding. I would do a psql
-l to see the encoding of other databases in your cluster, in particular
template0, template1 and postgres.

Joe