Re: New server setup

From: David Boreham <david_list(at)boreham(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New server setup
Date: 2013-03-14 03:39:51
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 3/13/2013 9:29 PM, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> Just going through this now with a vendor. They initially assured us
> that the drives had "end to end protection" so we did not need to
> worry. I had to post stripdown pictures from Intel's s3700, showing
> obvious capacitors attached to the board before I was taken seriously
> and actually meaningful specifications were revealed. So now I'm
> demanding to know:
>
> - chipset (and version)
> - original manufacturer (for re-badged ones)
> - power off protection *explicitly* mentioned
> - show me the circuit board (and where are the capacitors)

In addition to the above, I only use drives where I've seen compelling
evidence that plug pull tests have been done and passed (e.g. done by
someone on this list or in-house here). I also like to have a high
level of confidence in the firmware development group. This results in a
very small set of acceptable products :(