Re: How to test replication without doing a failover

From: Holger Jakobs <holger(at)jakobs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to test replication without doing a failover
Date: 2022-11-10 15:52:57
Lists: pgsql-admin

Am 10.11.22 um 15:59 schrieb Edwin UY:
> List
>
> Very newbie here on PostgreSQL coming from an Oracle DBA background mostly
>
> How do I test and confirm whether replication is working or not
> besides depending on just running the SQL below?
>
> select pg_is_in_recovery() ;
>
> select * from pg_stat_replication ;
>

> Is it possible to force/initiate a log transaction and see if that
> gets replicated or not? I mean for example on Oracle we can do a
> switch logfile and check if that log gets shipped across and applied
> on the standby, is there something similar in PostgreSQL?
> Maybe someone can refer me to an example if there is one somewhere?
>
> Regards,
> Ed

*Monitoring the replication*

Compare the WAL positions of primary and secondary: select
pg_current_wal_lsn(); on the primary
select pg_last_wal_receive_lsn(); on the standby or in the ps output of
WAL receiver process.

Using the view pg_stat_replication

Check the difference between pg_current_wal_lsn() and the column
sent_lsn of the view shows high load of the primary.
Difference between the column sent_lsn of the view and
pg_last_wal_receive_lsn() on the standby shows network congestion or
that the standby has high load.

--
Holger Jakobs, Bergisch Gladbach, Tel. +49-178-9759012