Re: minimum hardware requirements for small postgres db

From: Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: Paul Smith <paul(dot)smithy987(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: minimum hardware requirements for small postgres db
Date: 2013-02-25 19:49:06
Lists: pgsql-novice

Please do not top post - see end for further comments.

On 26/02/13 08:28, Paul Smith wrote:
> Yes, I do remember Gary Kildall, S100 Bus, breadboarding and hex
> keyboard programming and am glad to have left it behind long ago. I
> just want my computer as a tool, and to look under the bonnet as
> little as is necessary, hence my attraction to the Windows environment
> for its onset, where the most obvious UI choices are clearly
> presented. I try not to pour money into anything, have not invested
> in new MS software for a while now, and will probably not invest in
> Windows 8 judging for the initial reviews. will be offline for maybe
> a week now due to travel.
>
> On 22 February 2013 16:36, Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz
> <mailto:GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>> wrote:
>
> On 22/02/13 19:13, Paul Smith wrote:
>> Thanks for your advice. It is very interesting you were able to
>> run pg on a SD card in a RasPi ! In addition to Wolgang's last
>> reply, that confirms I was misinformed last year when I
>> originally settled on pg as my 1st choice, hsqldb being 2nd
>> choice, but then rejected pg in favour of hsqldb, as told the
>> former needs stronger hw than I use.
>>
>> Regarding yours and Gavin's recommendation I change to Linux, I
>> have made such an investment in Windows ever since it overlayed
>> DOS, use so many Windows dependant programs, it would be a major
>> investment in time to start again in Linux.
>>
>> I have monitored the progress of Linux, particularly Ubuntu over
>> the decades, and sadly have always found some reason not to
>> change. I stopped using big desktops years ago due to travel
>> needs, and read a big problem using Linux on new laptops/nettops
>> was lack of Driver support from manufacturers ... causing lots of
>> headaches. Recently, I read the change of 'Desktop' to Unity
>> needs maturing. I do realise open-source encourages healthy
>> creativity, and so diversity, but just the other week I read
>> 'fragmentation' of Linux into so many flavours causes big
>> problems supporting Apps.
>>
>> Another reason your mention of pg on RasPi was so interesting, is
>> I am thinking to buy something smaller than a Nettop, to use
>> primarily as a media-streamer to TV, but also be a 'backup
>> computer' in case my Nettop breaks - as it just has. The choice
>> on ARM hw has to be Linux or the Android fork. If ARM, I was
>> thinking of the Tegra3 based OUYA, unless a T4 or other faster
>> SoC alternative becomes available. So following the news on
>> development of Ubuntu for ARM devices with interest.
>>
>> So as per my last post to Wolfgang, I will install pg once my
>> Nettop repaired or replaced.
>>
>> Thanks, Paul
>>
>> On 21 February 2013 15:00, Matt Musgrove <MMusgrove(at)efji(dot)com
>> <mailto:MMusgrove(at)efji(dot)com>> wrote:
>>
>> I regularly use PostgreSQL on a system with an Atom processor
>> and 4GB of RAM and running CentOS (no problems even on the
>> one box with only 2GB of RAM). I have even tinkered with
>> PostgreSQL on a Raspberry Pi with 256 MB of RAM running off
> [...]
With Microsoft & Apple O/S's, I feel like I'm flying blind and have
feelings of claustrophobia.

I was predicting that Microsoft's Window 8 O/S would be a bigger
disaster than Microsoft's Vista, long before it came out.

The oldest program I can remember that I got paid for writing, was to
put files on an IBM labelled magnetic tape from files on 5 track paper
tape... I think it was an HP 9000 minicomputer.

The very first program I wrote was to display a graph based on feeding
complex numbers into sines & cosines in BASIC, on a machine the size of
a filing cabinet with about 5K of memory.