Re: Alias hstore's ? to ~ so that it works with JDBC

From: Seamus Abshere <seamus(at)abshere(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Alias hstore's ? to ~ so that it works with JDBC
Date: 2013-02-07 03:33:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

tl;dr

Scala/JRuby/Clojure (any JVM-based language) + Postgres + hstore =
awesome... why not just add a few lines to hstore--1.2.sql and make sure
that all operators are available and indexable?

hi Andrew, hi merlin,

> use the existing "exist()" function

EXIST() can't use hstore's GiST or GIN indexes.

> Why not just provide an additional operator?
>
> CREATE OPERATOR ~ (
> LEFTARG = hstore,
> RIGHTARG = text,
> PROCEDURE = exist,
> RESTRICT = contsel,
> JOIN = contjoinsel
> );

Since the goal is to get ? working on JDBC with indexes, I think you
also have to do CREATE OPERATOR CLASS [1]

Best,
Seamus

[1] See my revision of hstore--1.1.sql at
https://gist.github.com/seamusabshere/4715959/revisions

--
Seamus Abshere
seamus(at)abshere(dot)net