Re: 10.4 upgrade, function markings, and template0

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dominic Jones <jonesd(at)xmission(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 10.4 upgrade, function markings, and template0
Date: 2018-05-14 21:02:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Dominic Jones <jonesd(at)xmission(dot)com> writes:
> The PostgreSQL 10.4 upgrade involves changes to some function markings (see release notes, E.1.2, second and third bullet points for specifics). One way to make these changes is to use `ALTER FUNCTION` to change the functions in your existing databases. While this was mainly straightforward, I'm unclear on whether the `template0` database must be changed in this manner or if it is automatically updated when the upgrade is applied. The documentation indicates that in general you shouldn't manually change the `template0` database.

Yes, you'd need to fix it in template0 as well, or you risk
subsequently-created databases not having the fix. See previous
minor releases where we've given more painstaking detail about
applying catalog corrections, e.g. 9.6.4:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-9-6-4.html

I didn't bother with spelling it all out in full detail this time,
which maybe was a mistake, but I felt that probably most users
wouldn't need to bother with these changes at all (unlike the case
where a catalog correction is security-related).