Re: Severe performance degradation when using the 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver

From: Mikko Tiihonen <Mikko(dot)Tiihonen(at)nitorcreations(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>, Sérgio Saquetim <sergiosaquetim(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Rafael dos Santos Silva" <xfalcox(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Severe performance degradation when using the 9.2-1000 JDBC 4 driver
Date: 2012-10-18 09:17:15
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

I think the DNS lookup is part of the JDBC failover connection patch that I created.
I initially used a InetSocketAddress.getHostString() that does not do any DNS lookups, but since that method was added in Java7 I had to revert to getHostName() method which does.

I see following options:
1) modify the code so that is uses reflection and if Java7 is detected it will use the no-lookup method
2) wait 4 months until Oracle drops Java6 support (Java6 was supposed to be EOL already few months back) and use the no-lookup variant
3) let the code stay as is and let users fix their dns servers

-Mikko