noobie question

From: Steve Clark <sclark(at)netwolves(dot)com>
To: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: noobie question
Date: 2013-01-24 16:47:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi list,

This may be really simple - I usually do it using a procedural language such as php or a bash script.

Say I have a table that has 2 columns like
create table "foo" (
id integer not null,
name text
);
CREATE UNIQUE INDEX "foo_pkey" on "foo" using btree ( "id" "int4_ops" );

with 10 rows of data where id is 1 to 10.

Now I want to insert a new row ahead of id 5 so I have to renumber the rows
from 5 to 10 increasing each by one.

Or the opposite I want to delete a row an renumber to close up the gap.

Is there an easy way to do this in postgresql without resulting to some external language?

Thanks for your consideration.

--
Stephen Clark