Future steps and invigoration of SeaPUG

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: seapug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Future steps and invigoration of SeaPUG
Date: 2013-01-23 19:07:47
Lists: seapug

Hey those of the Puget Sound,

I spoke with Lloyd today at length about how PgUS and community in
general can participate with SeaPUG. I think it is great that you will
be at LinuxFestNW but it seems we could do so much more. Here are some
ideas:

1. Set some goals

For example, let's have a Seattle PgDay next fall. How do we get there?

2. Interact with other user groups

There are active Django, Python, Linux and Perl groups in the area. Talk
to them, work with them. Hold community events. Talk to them when you
have talks that may benefit them. For example, my Practical PostgreSQL
Performance talk could very well apply to those 4 groups. They should
know that we are presenting it.

3. Differentiate speakers

I have offered to come up on multiple occasions with very little
feedback. We need to be reaching out.

4. Possibly associate with PgUS. PhillyPUG and NYCPUG have already done
this. It allows the PUG to have non-profit status, legally accept money
and legally spend money.

5. Update the website. Perhaps move to http://www.meetup.com/ or have a
simpler wiki (redmine?) style interface.

6. Move the meetings

In the state of Washington you can use the libraries for free as long as
we don't charge. Why aren't we doing that? We are 10000% thankful for
the support of the current facilities but they are by no means "public".

Any other ideas?

Sincerely,

JD

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC
@cmdpromptinc - 509-416-6579