need some magic with generate_series()

From: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: need some magic with generate_series()
Date: 2013-01-22 21:41:24
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi
I need a series of month numbers like 201212, 201301 YYYYMM to join
other sources against it.

I've got a table that describes projects:
projects ( id INT, project TEXT, startdate DATE )

and some others that log events
events( project_id INT, createdate DATE, ...)

to show some statistics I have to count events and present it as a view
with the project name and the month as YYYYMM starting with startdate of
the projects.

My problem is that there probaply arent any events in a month but I
still need this line in the output.
So somehow I need to have a select that generates:

project 7,201211
project 7,201212
project 7,201301

It'd be utterly cool to get this for every project in the projects table
with one select.

Is there hope?