Re: How to generate drop cascade with pg_dump

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: emilu(at)encs(dot)concordia(dot)ca
Cc: PostgreSQL SQL List <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to generate drop cascade with pg_dump
Date: 2013-01-09 16:52:04
Lists: pgsql-sql

On 01/08/2013 01:53 PM, Emi Lu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> May I know how to generate drop table cascade when pg_dump a schema please?
>
> E.g.,
> pg_dump -h db_server -E UTF8 -n schema_name -U schema_owner --clean
> -d db_name >! ~/a.dmp
>
> In a.dmp, I'd like to get:
>
> drop table t1 cascade;
> drop table t2 cascade;
> ... ...
>
> Only dropping constraints within a schema is not good enough since there
> are dependencies on other schema.

That is a limitation of dumping by schema.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/app-pgdump.html
"Note: When -n is specified, pg_dump makes no attempt to dump any other
database objects that the selected schema(s) might depend upon.
Therefore, there is no guarantee that the results of a specific-schema
dump can be successfully restored by themselves into a clean database.

If you want to reach across schemas you either need to do a whole
database dump or modify a partial dump or create your own script.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com