Re: Dedicated PostgreSQL System

From: Andrew Hastie <lists(at)ahastie(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Dedicated PostgreSQL System
Date: 2013-01-02 15:56:05
Lists: pgsql-general

On 02/01/13 14:30, Carlos Mennens wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm trying to understand what exact parameters or configurations are
> adjusted when a PostgreSQL database system is going to be used as a
> 'stand-alone' or 'dedicated' server versus a shared or embedded
> database system? I have a server that's only going to be dedicated to
> running Linux and PostgreSQL software. Can someone please help me
> understand a few things I need to view or test with in order to get
> the most utilization from PostgreSQL & the dedicated hardware it will
> sit on top?
>
> --
> Carlos Mennens

I've found the following publication very useful, especially information
on the various file systems you can use to support the actual database
files:-

PostgreSQL 9.0 High Performance*
Paperback:* 442 pages*
Publisher:* PACKT PUBLISHING (30 Oct 2010)*
Language:* English*
ISBN-10:* 184951030X*
ISBN-13:* 978-1849510301

You can get a copy from Amazon (other online webstores are
available...........)