Re: Do I have a hardware or a software problem?

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Evgeny Shishkin <itparanoia(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Niels Kristian Schjødt <nielskristian(at)autouncle(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Do I have a hardware or a software problem?
Date: 2012-12-12 02:47:51
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 12/12/2012 10:13 AM, Evgeny Shishkin wrote:

> Yes, i am aware of this issue. Never experienced this neither on intel
> 520, no ocz vertex 3.

I wouldn't trust either of those drives. The 520 doesn't have Intel's "
Enhanced Power Loss Data Protection"; it's going to lose its buffers if
it loses power. Similarly, the Vertex 3 doesn't have any kind of power
protection. See:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/solid-state-drives/ssd-320-series-power-loss-data-protection-brief.html
http://ark.intel.com/products/family/56572/Intel-SSD-500-Family

http://www.ocztechnology.com/res/manuals/OCZ_SSD_Breakdown_Q2-11_1.pdf

The only way I'd use those for a production server was if I had
synchronous replication running to another machine with trustworthy,
durable storage - and if I didn't mind some downtime to restore the
corrupt DB from the replica after power loss.