Re: base backup requirements for PITR

From: Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)it>
To: "Andrew W(dot) Gibbs" <awgibbs(at)awgibbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: base backup requirements for PITR
Date: 2012-11-30 22:44:57
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Andrew,

Il 29/11/12 02:52, Andrew W. Gibbs ha scritto:
> That said, I'm wondering whether I created the base backup with
> reliably correct procedures or merely was lucky.
PostgreSQL documentation on how continuous archiving works is clear, but
you need to follow exactly what it says and have a clear understanding
and how Postgres works.

In order to simplify the management of disaster recovery solutions for
PostgreSQL, we have recently developed and distributed an open source
project called Barman.
I am not sure whether you have looked at it or not. In this case, I
suggest you give it a go. More information at http://www.pgbarman.org/

It is also available as RPM and Debian/Ubuntu package and works from
PostgreSQL 8.4 onwards.

Barman takes care of backups, works remotely and assist DBAs during
recovery (both local to the backup server or remote).

Cheers,
Gabriele

--
Gabriele Bartolini - 2ndQuadrant Italia