Re: difference in query performance due to the inclusion of a polygon geometry field

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: difference in query performance due to the inclusion of a polygon geometry field
Date: 2012-11-30 11:41:24
Lists: pgsql-general

On 11/30/12 3:28 AM, ivan marchesini wrote:
> Without the geometric field it takes around 86 ms !!
> With the geometric field it takes around 14000 ms !!
>
> These are the EXPLAIN ANALYSE results obtained when we perform the query
> without the geometric field:
> ____________________________
> "Total runtime: 3.285 ms"
> __________________________
>

> These are the EXPLAIN ANALYSE results obtained when we perform the query
> with the geometric field:
> ___________________________
> "Total runtime: 3.355 ms"

your examples don't seem to match your description.

both are within 100 microseconds.

I will say, sorting, formatting, and sending 200K * 1400 rows is going
to take a lot longer than 133 bytes * 1400 rows, if I can believe the
output of the explain analyzes.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast