Re: [GENERAL] Prepared Statement Name Truncation

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Prepared Statement Name Truncation
Date: 2012-11-23 16:10:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

On 23.11.2012 17:53, Tom Lane wrote:
> Euler Taveira<euler(at)timbira(dot)com> writes:
>
>> Less than 5% of catalog columns? I don't buy your argument.
>
> It's not about count, it's about size. For instance, pg_attribute
> currently requires 140 bytes per row (counting the tuple header and
> line pointer), so adding 64 bytes would represent 45% bloat. In
> a database with lots of tables that would be painful.
>
> We could avoid this problem if we were prepared to make type "name"
> be varlena, ...

It would actually be nice to do that because it would *reduce* the
amount of space and memory used for the catalogs in the typical case,
where the attribute names are much smaller than 64 bytes. I received a
complaint just the other day that our backend processes consume a lot of
memory, even when idle; the catalog caches are a large part of that.

- Heikki