Re: Where is 'createdb'?

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: Kevin Burton <rkevinburton(at)charter(dot)net>
Cc: 'Boszormenyi Zoltan' <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Where is 'createdb'?
Date: 2012-11-01 22:15:51
Lists: pgsql-general

On 11/01/2012 02:49 PM, Kevin Burton wrote:

> I watched while the OS was installed and it looked like postgres was
> installed but the Ubuntu package apparently didn't install it all or
> it didn't install it correctly.

You may have installed a portion of PostgreSQL - possibly just the
client stuff (psql, libraries and such needed to connect to a PostgreSQL
server). The deb package is usually called "postgresql-client-VERSION".
Make sure you have installed the server which is just called
"postgresql-VERSION".

Optionally you can install postgresql-contrib which contains a large
variety of available extensions (the package installs them on your
machine but you have to selectively install the specific extensions you
want into your database - see "create extension" and look for info on
"contrib").

You can also install a variety of languages for use in writing
procedural functions in PostgreSQL (plperl, plpython, pllua, pltcl, ...).

Cheers,
Steve