Re: JDBC4 Postgresql Driver

From: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
To: "Boyer, Laura (GE Aviation, US)" <laura(dot)boyer(at)ge(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JDBC4 Postgresql Driver
Date: 2012-10-28 23:31:46
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 10/27/2012 04:03 AM, Boyer, Laura (GE Aviation, US) wrote:
> HelloPostgreSQL Global Development Group:
>
> I’min process of determining an export control tag(ECCN)for JDBC4. I’d
> appreciate if you could answer the below questions.
>
> How is JDBC4 different from PostgreSQL, psqlODBC?

Dave covered that one, I'd just like to explain what JDBC is.

JDBC is an access API. PgJDBC provides an implementation of the service
provider side of that API so that applications that use JDBC can use it
to talk to PostgreSQL. It's "glue" code that connects JDBC to PostgreSQL.

In the same way, psqlODBC is "glue" code to connect ODBC API users to
PostgreSQL.

For more on JDBC, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Database_Connectivity
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/jdbc/index.html
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/jdbc/index.html

> Does JDBC4 containembedded encryption, or special software technology?

PgJDBC *uses* encryption but it does not contain any crypto
implementations. The cryptography support is provided by the underling
Java runtime environment. It is used for things like SSL sockets and
client certificate authentication.

"Special software technology" is hard to nail down to anything specific.
What are your concerns? Is there a particular definition of that term
that you rely on? I would be surprised if there was anything you'd be
concerned by, but it's impossible to say without knowing what "special
software technology" actually means.

--
Craig Ringer