Connection Options -- SSL already uses compression?

From: Karl Denninger <karl(at)denninger(dot)net>
To: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Connection Options -- SSL already uses compression?
Date: 2012-10-20 01:10:24
Lists: pgsql-performance

Am I reading this correctly -- it appears that if SSL negotiation is
enabled for a connection (say, when using pg_basebackup over a WAN) that
compression /*is automatically used*/ (provided it is supported on both
ends)?

Is there a way to check and see if it _*is*_ on for a given connection?

I was looking to hack in zlib support and saw that appears to be
already-present support, provided SSL connection security is enabled.

--
-- Karl Denninger
/The Market Ticker ®/ <http://market-ticker.org>