Re: allow servers to access to the same data

From: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
To: GMAIL <federico(dot)serale(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: allow servers to access to the same data
Date: 2012-10-17 22:50:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Please reply to the mailing list, not directly to me.

Reply follows below.

On 10/17/2012 10:46 PM, GMAIL wrote:
> i want that the main pc save two identical databases, the first
> database will be saved on local hard drive and the second database
> will be saved on a nas.
> if the main pc has a failover, a second pc will be turned up with the
> same ip and access to the database on the nas

How do you intend to get the main pc to save two identical databases?

I wouldn't recommend running Pg off a NAS file system like NFS or CIFS.

This plan is fragile and failure prone. I very strongly recommend that
you use replication instead. See

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/high-availability.html
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/high-availability.html>
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Shared_Storage