Re: Can the string literal syntax for function definitions please be dropped ?

From: Timothy Madden <terminatorul(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Adrian Klaver <aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Can the string literal syntax for function definitions please be dropped ?
Date: 2009-10-25 22:12:35
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 11:40 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com
> wrote:

> Timothy Madden escribió:
>
> > Just like when I write C++ applications I use standards-conforming
> > C++, when I write SQL applications I would like to use
> > standard-conforming SQL.
>
> Sadly, we don't have standards-conformant SQL/PSM. Right now, we have a
> lot of different languages for functions, none of them mandated by SQL,
> and there is no reason to create a syntax exception for any of them.
>
> I am sure that when we get SQL/PSM support, the interest in getting
> standards-conformant procedure creation statements is going to get a lot
> higher.
>
> PL/pgSQL is not SQL/PSM.

Anyway Posgres offers a CREATE FUNCTION statement that resembles or should
resemble that in the standard, and that is what I am talking about. I just
want the
Postgres version of the statement to look more like the standard one.

Would you detail the differences you talk about that you see here ?

Thank you,
Timothy Madden