combining records from a single table and presenting them as one record

From: Abhishek <ajcool(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: combining records from a single table and presenting them as one record
Date: 2005-10-27 18:00:41
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi Everyone
I have a table "TABLE1" which has
Callguid | digits | type
xxxx 123 'a'
xxxx 345 'b'
xxxx 678 'c'
type can have only 'a', 'b' or 'c' as its value.
I am tryng to write a query which returns me a record like this

CallGuid | a type digits | b type digits | c type digits
xxxx 123 345 678
I do the query as this:
select callguid , ( select digits from TABEL1 where type='a' ), ( select
digits from TABEL1 where type='b' ), ( select digits from TABEL1 where
type='c' ) from TABLE1;
result:

CallGuid | a type digits | b type digits | c type digits
xxxx 123 345 678
xxxx 123 345 678
xxxx 123 345 678
Note that I get the records which i wanted, but I get them duplicated. If I
use 'distinct' keyword I get the desired result with no duplication. But
'distinct' seems to be too expensive.
Is there any better way I can do this without compromising the performance
?
Your suggestions and input are very appreciated
Thanks
AJ

--
Abhishek Jain