Re: pg_upgrade default ports in the --help output

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Виктор Егоров <vyegorov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade default ports in the --help output
Date: 2012-10-04 13:36:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On 10/04/2012 12:29 AM, Виктор Егоров wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I just noticed the following default ports in the pg_upgrade --help:
> -p, --old-port=OLDPORT old cluster port number (default 50432)
> -P, --new-port=NEWPORT new cluster port number (default 50432)

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/pgupgrade.html
"Obviously, no one should be accessing the clusters during the upgrade.
pg_upgrade defaults to running servers on port 50432 to avoid unintended
client connections. You can use the same port number for both clusters
when doing an upgrade because the old and new clusters will not be
running at the same time. However, when checking an old running server,
the old and new port numbers must be different."

> Why is this different from:
> --with-pgport=PORTNUM set default port number [5432]

Where is this coming from?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com