Re: Amazon High I/O instances

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Amazon High I/O instances
Date: 2012-09-12 22:58:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On 09/12/12 3:17 PM, François Beausoleil wrote:
> What are the iostat / vmstat numbers during the test?

note you need to run iostat with -x <interval> and ignore the first
sample as its average since reboot. I usually use 5, 10, or 30 second
intervals when analyzing IO performance problems.

on a system with multiple storage devices, the device list can get long
and confusing, I'll often specify just the device(s) I'm investigating...

iostat -x 5 sdc sdd

ditto, vmstat needs a <interval> argument, or it shows average since reboot

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast