Re: JSON in 9.2: limitations

From: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JSON in 9.2: limitations
Date: 2012-08-08 00:26:10
Lists: pgsql-general

On 08/08/2012 03:45 AM, Merlin Moncure wrote:

> Given that you can do that, if you had the ability to emit json from
> an hstore the OP's problem would be trivially handled.

That's where my thinking went at first too, but there's a wrinkle with
that: json represents the number 1 and the string "1" differently.
hstore doesn't. The input data would need to be JSON-escaped before
being added to hstore to preserve that difference - so at minimum some
kind of scalar json_escape(...) function is still needed.

I was also trying to avoid the need to use *two* extensions for the job.

--
Craig Ringer