Re: converting Oracle to postgres

From: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, will trillich <will(at)serensoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: converting Oracle to postgres
Date: 2003-02-07 15:27:29
Lists: pgsql-general

At 09:58 AM 2/7/03 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

>will trillich <will(at)serensoft(dot)com> writes:
> > i think plpgsql is standard these days, so you should be able to
> > create procedures without having to "install" or "activate" it.
>
>No, you still do need to do 'createlang' to set it up. There's been
>debate about whether to make it standard. A paranoid DBA might not
>*want* PLs available.

Yes.

Don't want a repeat of MS SQL Server. I'm sure there are people who need to
format c:\, dir, etc using MS SQL. But most people don't need this stuff
installed by default.

It might not be so bad at the start if you install a language by default.
But if the language/features get extended you could end up with a lose-lose
situation.

Regards,
Link.