System catalog table privileges

From: Hilary Forbes <hforbes(at)dmr(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: System catalog table privileges
Date: 2006-07-21 12:45:16
Lists: pgsql-sql

Dear All<br><br>
Next question on privileges!&nbsp; Can I safely remove all privileges
from the system catalog tables for a user and still enable them to select
from the public schema?&nbsp; I guess the real question is what access
rights does an ordinary user have to have to the system catalog tables in
order for postgres to work properly given I only ever want the user to be
able to SELECT from views.<br><br>
This is all brought about by a user who wants to use MS Access Query for
adhoc queries to a (small) database via ODBC.&nbsp; (the database itself
drives a major web application.) I can't find an easy way of preventing
them seeing that tables exist but I don't want them trying to manually
update any tables of mine or postgres's thank you very much!&nbsp; (Don't
shoot the messenger - there's no accounting for user's tastes!)<br><br>
TAI<br>
Hilary<br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Hilary Forbes<br>
DMR Limited (UK registration 01134804) <br>
A DMR Information and Technology Group company
Direct tel 01689 889950 Fax 01689 860330 <br>
DMR is a UK registered trade mark of DMR Limited<br>

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/html 1.3 KB