Re: pg_dump in 7.4

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump in 7.4
Date: 2002-11-13 14:08:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 08:52 AM 13/11/2002 -0500, Rod Taylor wrote:
>The biggest trick will be trying to re-combine the ALTER ... ADD
>CONSTRAINT and ALTER ... SET DEFAULT statements back into CREATE TABLE

I'm not sure this would be worth the effort - I'll grant it would be cute,
but getting pg_dump to understand SQL seems a little ambitious. We'd
probably end up defining a portable schema definition language just for
dump files.

To achieve Tom's suggestion it might be simpler to store two versions - the
'full' version, and the 'fully deconstructed' version. If our analysis of
the dependencies meant we needed to break up an object, then we use the
latter.

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \
(A.B.N. 75 008 659 498) | /(@) ______---_