Re: pg_dump and large files - is this a problem?

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Giles Lean <giles(at)nemeton(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: Re: pg_dump and large files - is this a problem?
Date: 2002-10-24 01:43:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 11:50 PM 23/10/2002 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>1. Disable access to large files.
>
>2. Seek in some other way.

This gets my vote, but I would like to see a clean implementation (not huge
quantities if ifdefs every time we call fseek); either we write our own
fseek as Bruce seems to be suggesting, or we have a single header file that
defines the FSEEK/FTELL/OFF_T to point to the 'right' functions, where
'right' is defined as 'most likely to generate an integer and which makes
use of the largest number of bytes'.

The way the code is currently written it does not matter if this is a 16 or
3 byte value - so long as it is an integer.

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \
(A.B.N. 75 008 659 498) | /(@) ______---_
Tel: (+61) 0500 83 82 81 | _________ \