Re: Looking for software to 'enqueue' connections

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Edmundo Robles <edmundo(at)sw-argos(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Looking for software to 'enqueue' connections
Date: 2016-08-15 22:58:08
Lists: pgsql-general

On 08/15/2016 01:59 PM, Edmundo Robles wrote:

Please do not top post:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style

The preferred style is bottom or interleaved as it makes the thread
easier to follow

> Adrian i have hosted in a rackspace a Debian 7 with 2G RAM.

I assume that would be one of their virtual machines. The above is a
start, but what would be helpful is actual system load data from the
machine over time. As a start something on the order of:

aklaver(at)panda:~> uptime

aklaver(at)panda:~> iostat 5
Linux 3.16.7-35-desktop (panda) 08/15/2016 _i686_ (3 CPU)

avg-cpu: %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
4.79 0.03 3.04 1.52 0.00 90.62

Device: tps kB_read/s kB_wrtn/s kB_read kB_wrtn
sda 16.54 51.80 379.13 1780484 13032770

avg-cpu: %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
2.69 0.00 3.23 0.07 0.00 94.01

Device: tps kB_read/s kB_wrtn/s kB_read kB_wrtn
sda 2.00 0.00 113.60 0 568

avg-cpu: %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
0.74 0.00 2.84 5.67 0.00 90.75

Device: tps kB_read/s kB_wrtn/s kB_read kB_wrtn
sda 71.40 9.60 1786.40 48 8932

This is on my old desktop machine, so is not strictly representative of
what you would see.

What we are looking for is a choke point. I am fairly certain that
connections are not it and that your problem lies further upstream.
Namely that your machine(virtual or otherwise) does not have the system
resources(CPU, RAM, disk I/O) to keep up with the load you are placing
on it. Until that is resolved anything you try to do downstream of the
system resources is not going to solve the problem.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com