Re: Faster pg_resore with autovacuum off?

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Wells Oliver <wells(dot)oliver(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Faster pg_resore with autovacuum off?
Date: 2024-07-27 14:27:15
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, 2024-07-26 at 17:57 -0700, Wells Oliver wrote:
> Maybe it's an old wives' tale, but I swear I've read a recommendation to turn
> autovacuum off when doing pg_restore into a new server.. Would it make the
> restore faster? I think I've restored and then run vacuumdb + analyze,
> but I wanted to check.

If your machine is too weak to handle the combined workload of restore +
autovacuum, that might get you something. Otherwise, you are just cheating:
the restore might be faster, but the database is not usable before autovacuum
and autoanalyze have proessed all restored tables.

I wouldn't recommend turning autovacuum off, because it is a dangerous thing
to do. If you forget to enable it, your database will be in big trouble.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe