Help with quote escaping in plpgsql

From: someone(at)arbitrary(dot)org (Joseph)
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Help with quote escaping in plpgsql
Date: 2003-11-14 22:53:29
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I want to make a function that accepts a pre-formatted varchar
argument which will then be used in an IN clause:

create or replace function testing(varchar) returns int as '
declare
int c := 0;
begin
select count(*) from my_table where some_field in ( $1 ) into c;
return c;
end
' language 'plpgsql';

But I can't figure out how to escape the varchar string I pass. I have
tried:

'''hello'',''world'''

and all sorts of other things.

Any suggestions?