Re: Problem with PG 11 database on OrangePi3 (ARMBIAN, ARM64) after disk disrupion (problem with USB disk connection)

From: Ray O'Donnell <ray(at)rodonnell(dot)ie>
To: Laura Smith <n5d9xq3ti233xiyif2vp(at)protonmail(dot)ch>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem with PG 11 database on OrangePi3 (ARMBIAN, ARM64) after disk disrupion (problem with USB disk connection)
Date: 2022-04-06 18:06:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On 06/04/2022 18:20, Laura Smith wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 6th, 2022 at 17:41, W.P. <laurentp(at)wp(dot)pl> wrote:
>> That was not a "command". PG was working ok, DB on encrypted (LUKS
>> on LVM2, ext4) USB drive.
>
> I mean, why ?
>
> If there was ever a "setting yourself up to fail" scenario, it would
> be this. Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should.

That was my thought too, but not being an expert I didn't want to jump
straight in... The OP might have a good reason for doing this, but
trying to run a database off a USB stick strikes me as asking for trouble.

> I suspect you will have to file this under "learnt the hard way"

Heh - I have a lot of stuff filed there myself. :-)

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell // Galway // Ireland
ray(at)rodonnell(dot)ie