Windows perl/tcl requirement documentation

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Windows perl/tcl requirement documentation
Date: 2024-07-01 15:27:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Our docs currently state this regarding the perl requirement for
building on Windows:

ActiveState Perl

ActiveState Perl is required to run the build generation scripts.
MinGW or Cygwin Perl will not work. It must also be present in the
PATH. Binaries can be downloaded from https://www.activestate.com
<https://www.activestate.com> (Note: version 5.14 or later is
required, the free Standard Distribution is sufficient).

This really hasn't been a true requirement for quite some time. I
stopped using AS perl quite a few years ago due to possible licensing
issues, and have been building with MSVC using Strawberry Perl ever
since. Andres recently complained that Strawberry was somewhat out of
date, but that's no longer really the case - it's on 5.38.2, which is
the latest in that series, and perl 5.40.0 was only releases a few weeks
ago.

We recommend AS Tcl/Tk, which I have not used, but which I am wary of
for the same reasons. There is a BSD licensed up to date windows binary
installation called Magicsplat which I haven't tried but which might
well be suitable for our purposes.

I suggest we remove these references to AS and replace them with
references to Windows distros that are more appropriate.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan