Re: More grist for the PostgreSQL vs MySQL mill

From: "Michael Nolan" <htfoot(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "John Meyer" <john(dot)l(dot)meyer(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: More grist for the PostgreSQL vs MySQL mill
Date: 2007-01-21 17:09:25
Lists: pgsql-general

John, you may not like it but we are in a competitive marketing environment
with MySQL (even if both products are open source), and also with Oracle,
SQL*Server, etc.

The MySQL folks will take every chance they get to point out instances where
PostgreSQL performance is inferior to MySQL (and that's not unreasonable for
them to do that), what's wrong with us pointing out their weaknesses as
well? How many different threads have we had here or on -advocacy asking
for real-world benchmarks between database products? I can think of several
just in the last few months.

I know that as a result of this test when I rewrite this particular web app
later this year I will be asking my ISP to make PostgreSQL 8.2 available,
because this particular app requires a more robust database search engine
than MySQL currently has.
--
Mike Nolan