Re: Why isn't it allowed to create an index in a schema other than public?

From: "Michael Nolan" <htfoot(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Jorge Godoy" <godoy(at)ieee(dot)org>
Cc: "Jorge Godoy" <jgodoy(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Chris Mair" <chrisnospam(at)1006(dot)org>, "PostgreSQL General ML" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why isn't it allowed to create an index in a schema other than public?
Date: 2006-11-13 01:35:54
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm a little confused about what you mean when you say you can't specify
where the index should go. Schemas are a logical division, not a physical
one. There's no logical reason to have the index for a table in a separate
schema. (And if one were limiting which schemas a user could access, there
are good reasons NOT to have the index in a separate schema.)

If, on the other hand, you want to control where the index is physically
stored, for example to optimized disk access times, you should use
tablespaces.
--
Mike Nolan