Renaming sequences

From: Mike Dewhirst <miked(at)dewhirst(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-novice(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Renaming sequences
Date: 2019-12-18 05:32:54
Lists: pgsql-novice

Are there any consequences for renaming sequences to match the tables
which own them?

In an existing production Django project I have just converted auth.user
into common.user and company.userprofile into common.userprofile.

Having gone through the migration process more or less unscathed the
original sequences are owned by the renamed tables. Eg
public.auth_user_id_seq is owned by public.common_user.id

Everything seems to work fine but my unit tests are playing up and error
messages are showing the original (and still correct) sequence names. It
would make much visual sense to me now and especially to the future me
(or anyone else) if the sequences were renamed as well.

I know how I could do it but I just need to know if I should.

Thanks for any advice

Mike