Re: how to create a sequence in a stored proc?

From: Raymond O'Donnell <rod(at)iol(dot)ie>
To: "J(dot)V(dot)" <jvsrvcs(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: how to create a sequence in a stored proc?
Date: 2012-04-27 17:05:57
Lists: pgsql-general

On 27/04/2012 17:35, J.V. wrote:
> Right, I understand that fully, and have used SQL inside a stored proc
> before, but in this case as I mentioned, I need to first do a select
> from a table to get a max value, store that in a variable and then use
> that variable in a create sequence sql statement.

Something like this, off the top of my head and untested:

create or replace function make_sequence_for_table()
returns void
as
$$
declare
max_value integer;
begin
select max(my_column) into max_value from my_table;

create sequence my_sequence
start (max_value + 1)
owned by my_table.my_column;

alter table my_table
alter column my_column
set default nextval('my_sequence');

return;
end;
$$
language plpgsql;

For extra marks, pass the table name in as a parameter, construct the
SQL as a string and execute it using EXECUTE (the pl/pgsql version, not
the command for executing prepared statements).

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod(at)iol(dot)ie