Postgres 9.0 Streaming Replication and Load Balancing?

From: Paulo Correia <paulo(dot)correia(at)pdmfc(dot)com>
To: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgres 9.0 Streaming Replication and Load Balancing?
Date: 2012-04-13 13:38:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi!

I have a Postgres 9.0 on CentOs 5.6 with a functional asynchronous
streaming replication to a hot-standby slave (over a TCP connection).

At the moment, the slave only makes the replication, but it accepts
read-only queries.

I need to load-balance the DB requests to both servers and was trying
pgPool-II but it seems it has some problems if we already have
connection pooling elsewhere.
I have some application servers that already have their own connection
pool functionalities and I wonder if anyone found a solution for that.

Imagine I have some different deploys on a Glassfish or a Tomcat server,
using the server connection pooling facilities and from that we would
access the database, or the balancer.

Has anyone managed to do this with pgPool-II? Any other options?

Best regards,
Paulo Correia