High checkpoint_segments

From: Jay Levitt <jay(dot)levitt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: High checkpoint_segments
Date: 2012-02-14 20:05:49
Lists: pgsql-general

We need to do a few bulk updates as Rails migrations. We're a typical
read-mostly web site, so at the moment, our checkpoint settings and WAL are
all default (3 segments, 5 min, 16MB), and updating a million rows takes 10
minutes due to all the checkpointing.

We have no replication or hot standbys. As a consumer-web startup, with no
SLA, and not a huge database, and if we ever do have to recover from
downtime it's ok if it takes longer.. is there a reason NOT to always run
with something like checkpoint_segments = 1000, as long as I leave the
timeout at 5m?

Jay Levitt