improve pg_restore warning on text dump input

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: improve pg_restore warning on text dump input
Date: 2012-01-03 18:43:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From time to time there are complaints because people mistakenly feed a
text format dump to pg_restore and get back a somewhat cryptic message
about the file not being a valid archive. It's been suggested that we
should have pg_restore run the file through psql, but that would involve
more work than I at least care to give the problem. However, I think we
should give a nicer message, suggesting the user try feeding the file to
psql instead. The attached small patch does that.

cheers

andrew

Attachment Content-Type Size
resstorewarn.patch text/x-patch 1.3 KB